Monday, September 27, 2010

A very special day



Today was a very important day for me. In 1990, I was flown in the STARS Air Ambulance. I was 6 years old. Without STARS, I may not be here right now. In 1996, my dad was flown.

Today, for the first time, I got to meet the pilot of my flight, Bob. It was emotional and so, so special. I got to sit inside the helicopter (it seemed much smaller than I remember!) and have a behind the scenes tour of what it takes to get and keep STARS in the air. It was amazing! While I was being flown, I had on a headset and Bob talked to me the entire flight. I remember him asking me what colour my house was, and about my family, and if I wanted to look out the window. For only being 6, I remember it so clearly. It was wonderful to finally be able to put a face to the voice I remember so well and to thank him and give him a hug.

I can't explain how honoured I feel to have meet all the wonderful men and women who are part of STARS and especially Bob. I feel like I can't express enough how thankful I am. Today is a day I won't forget.

6 comments:

Signe said...

Oh wow, that is so special! Really happy for you :)

LatteLisa said...

Really happy for you, too. Am I allowed to ask what happened in 1990?

Heartfire At Home said...

Wow, how amazing Meghan... and so great that Bob is still flying and helping people!! I really do admire people who work in the medical arena, especially paramedics and people on the front line like Bob. So glad there was such a service to help you out when you were six, and your dad too! xxx

Linda. x

Jude said...

What a heartwarming thing to greet my day! It's incredible you remembered everything and that Bob was still around. I really admire people who work in the frontlines like that (my sister's fiance is doing the same now) and you wrote about it very touchingly.

jackie said...

Whenever the Stars air ambulance flies over my house on the way to the UofA hospital I'm always hopeful the person they are transporting will be ok. It's a fantastic service and it was great to hear your story!

Meghan said...

Yes, Stars is an amazing service. I admire people in the medical field too.

I had renal failure in 1990 and lived in a small town so the hospital wasn't equipped to help me. By the time they realized what was happening, I had to get to Calgary asap. Today, I am obviously better, but I have kidney disease.

And yes, Jackie, I know what you mean! It flies over my house often on the way to the Foothills. I am always hopeful too.