Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Action!

I love watching movies. Sometimes I want romance, horror, or comedy. Sometimes I want a musical, a drama, or a western.

Here is a list of my favourites (in no particular order - actually, no. Fiddler on the Roof is my favourite. No particular order after that). These movies are ones that I have seen many times, and ones I know I will watch many more times:


I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. - Harry Burns

When Harry Met Sally - This movie makes me happy. And it is the only 'chick flick' that Joe has actually watched with me and admitted "It wasn't so bad."

If you think about it, your favorite memories, the most important moments in your life... were you alone? Life's better with company. - Ryan Bingham

Up in the Air - I love that this movie is actually real. It is subtle and made me think of what is most important in my life. Watch it.

Boris the Blade, or Boris "the Bullet Dodger." As bent as the Soviet sickle, and as hard as the hammer that crosses it. Apparently, it's just impossible to kill the bastard. - Turkish

Snatch - This movie has so many twists and turns and has one of those unpredictable endings. You just can't go wrong with Guy Ritchie.

A fiddler on the roof. Sounds crazy, no? But here, in our little village of Anatevka, you might say every one of us is a fiddler on the roof trying to scratch out a pleasant, simple tune without breaking his neck. It isn't easy. You may ask 'Why do we stay up there if it's so dangerous?' Well, we stay because Anatevka is our home. And how do we keep our balance? That I can tell you in one word: tradition! - Tevye

Fiddler on the Roof - Probably my favourite movie of all time. I watch this movie many times over the course of the year. It makes me feel so good and is funny, and happy, and heart breaking.

Sorry don't get it done, Dude. That's the second time you hit me. Don't ever do it again. - John T. Chance

Rio Bravo - My dad and I would watch westerns all the time when I was younger. This was my favourite. The best part is right here.

One night, Bobby Vinton sent us champagne. There was nothing like it. I didn't think there was anything strange in any of this. You know, a twenty-one-year-old kid with such connections. He was an exciting guy. He was really nice. He introduced me to everybody. Everybody wanted to be nice to him. And he knew how to handle it. - Karen

Goodfellas - This movie made me a fan of Scorcese. One of the best mob movies. Love it.

Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around. - Prime Minister

Love Actually - This movie just fills my heart with joy. It is so romantic. My go-to movie around the holidays.

Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing. - The Dude

The Big Lebowski -If you haven't seen this movie, you must. It is hilarious. I watched it for the first time with Joe and loved it since. My last year at University had me in a class just on this movie (yes, it was a sweet class). At the end of the year, I still don't think we figured out what the movie is actually about, because it is about everything and nothing. If you are ever interested, you can read my 20 page paper on why Walter isn't really Jewish.


What are your favourite movies?

5 comments:

M.G.T@SoSheDid said...

I love it Meg! Actually, T and I watched Rio Bravo in film class and it was a rare one that I enjoyed! I actually have't seen when Harry Met Sally... can you believe it?

I forgot on mine to add "Remember the Titans". I absolutely love that movie.

Bubbles said...

I haven't watched films for years except childrens ones at work, its just I'd rather be doing other things instead. As a child I loved the home alone series.

Heartfire At Home said...

I LOVE going to the movies... I try to go at least once a month. We have a great cinema here (6 theatres) and I just adore the whole 'experience'. I also love watching movies at home (rented ones) because they're ad free.

Love Actually is one of my all time faves too (probably seen it 6 or more times - lol). There's probably too many to list... but some long standing favourites are Dead Poets Society, Amelie, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (newbie but great), Finding Neverland (amazing movie), The Shawshank Redemption, The Holiday, Under The Tuscan Sun, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, Speed, Million Dollar Baby, Inception (another newbie but goodie), Michael Clayton, Duplicity ..... the list could go on and on forever and a day!!

Hope you're doing ok today?!

Linda. xox

Jude said...

Oh my goodness, I love your list! Big Lebowski, Fiddler on the Roof, Goodfellas, you've got some of my all-time favorites...Watching movies always makes me feel better :)

Meghan said...

You all have great choices! I love the movie going experience too. Just saw The Town last weekend and it was good.

Mary - I can't believe you haven't seen it. Can we watch it when you are here in December?