Monday, January 31, 2011
Oh habits, I have many. My worst though is probably that I never put the laundry away. I have no problem washing it, folding it, and bringing it to the bedroom - but then there it sits, in the laundry basket. I practically live out of it. By the time the next week comes around, I still have a basket full of clean laundry. The worst part is, I will sort everything out onto the bed to put it away, but then I just leave the room and I don't finish. By the time I am ready for bed, I just throw it all back into the basket. One day, I will get better.
1) I have a fish named Mog. He was all white and I named him after Mog from the Final Fantasy games - but he changed colour on me and is now all black. Oswald leaves him alone.
2) I have a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communications Studies.
3) I was born 10 days late and my mom had to be woken up by the nurse to start pushing - she was asleep!
4) I have 4 brothers (2 are half) and 2 sisters. I have a younger brother and a younger sister and the rest are older. I LOVE being part of a big family - it was always a lot of fun (and still is!).
5) My middle name is Kathleen.
6) When I was little, I was very girly and would only wear shoes that made noise when I walked and I called them 'spiffys.' I would have to test them on the hard floor in the mall (if the store had carpet) to make sure.
7) My favourite song is Piano Man by Billy Joel.
8) I would live in pajamas if I could.
9) My favourite drink is chocolate milk.
10) My favourite colour is green.
11) My eyes are a strange colour. My eye doctor told me she has never seen eyes like mine and asked what I colour I would call them. They are like a bluish-greenish-greyish. When I ask my niece what colour they are she always looks at them closely and answers, "I don't know."
12) I can play the alto saxophone.
13) I looove roller coasters. The best one I have ever been on is called Air at Alton Towers in Staffordshire, England.
14) I hate falling asleep on the couch - it throws me off big time. I am a big sleeper and need at least 8 hours a night and I love every moment of it.
15) I have horrible eye sight. I wear glasses or contacts. Without them, I can't see a thing. I have to place my glasses in the exact same spot every night or I won't be able to find them in the morning.
Sunday, January 30, 2011
Day 0: The 30 Day Challenge Explanation and Description
Day 1: Introduce, recent picture of yourself, 15 interesting facts
Day 2: Worst habit
Day 3: Your first love
Day 4: Your parents
Day 5: A song to match your mood
Day 6: A picture of something that makes you happy
Day 7: Favourite movies
Day 8: A place you've traveled to
Day 9: A favourite picture of your best friend
Day 10: Something you're afraid of
Day 11: Favourite tv shows
Day 12: Something you don't leave the house without
Day 13: Goals
Day 14: A picture of you last year - how have you changed?
Day 15: Favourite quote
Day 16: Dream house
Day 17: Something you're looking forward to
Day 18: Favorite place to eat
Day 19: Something you miss
Day 20: Nicknames
Day 21: Favourite picture of yourself of ALL TIME. Why?
Day 22: What's in your purse?
Day 23: A picture of you as a child
Day 24: Something you've learned
Day 25: Put your iPod on shuffle, first 10 songs
Day 26: Your dream wedding
Day 27: Original photo of the city you live in
Day 28: Something that stresses you out
Day 29: 3 Wishes
Day 30: A picture of yourself this day and 5 good things that happened since you started the challenge
Saturday, January 29, 2011
Hope you all have been having a great weekend so far! Right now, my niece, Ainsley, is sleeping beside me, making cute little noises and saying random words now and again (and also kicking me). We usually have sleep overs when I am at my moms. We came here for a quick visit for my sister's birthday (it was on Thursday) and in case she had her baby (which she didn't - but I have a feeling I will be back here very soon).
We were also hit with a ton of new snow over the past day and a half. Ah, winter. I can't wait until spring. The photo above makes me think of it and how nice it will be!
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Monday, January 24, 2011
I love my flats though. They are comfy and go with whatever. So naturally, I LOVE these shoe clips! What a great way to transform a boring pair of flats.
(via The Headband Shoppe)
Sunday, January 23, 2011
So I've had babies on the brain. I love these baby items (all good for a boy or a girl - we don't know what this new baby will be!). I'm so excited!
(via Tara Mcauley by Tara Put)
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Hope you are all having a great weekend! I just got home from being out with some friends. Teira is leaving on Wednesday for a semester in the Netherlands. I am going to miss her sooo much! But I get to see her one last time on Monday.
What have you been up to this weekend?
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Thank you so much to Bubbles for this award! I pass it back to you, I love your colourful blog!
Now, I must share 7 things about myself...
1) When I was learning to walk, my brother's friend slammed my pinky finger in the hinge of a door. I had been holding onto the wall for support and they didn't want me in the room (or so I've been told - I don't remember!). The bones were shattered and now, my left pinky is permanently broken and bent and short. No one seems to ever notice it, and I can use it just fine. It is just a part of me.
2) I absolutely love to play board (or card) games. When I am with my family (especially on holidays) we play a ton. I could play for hours and hours. My favourites are Risk and Yahtzee.
3) My mom is my hero. She is the strongest person I have ever known. My dad passed away when I was 12 and somehow she managed to raise me and my siblings (my little sister was 2 and my older brother was 15, and there are 3 more of us in between), go back to college, graduate Valedictorian of her class and Student of the Year, make an amazing career as a social worker (she even won an award) - I will just never, ever know. She has been through so much and I am so proud of her.
4) When I was younger, I loved Beverly Hills 90210. My favourite character was David Silver, who was played by Brian Austin Green. I wrote him a fan letter, but it wasn't about how I thought he was cute or anything, but how I deeply respected his acting. This story was told at my wedding.
5) I love Hanson. I don't care what anyone says. I get teased relentlessly at work about it and by some friends, but I don't care. My friend, Mary, understands. We have Hanson-offs, text each other lyrics, and we got to meet them 2 years ago. It was a defining moment for both of us. Mmmbop!
6) I am terrified of whales. I do think they are beautiful and I have seen them both in captivity (sad) and in the wild but for some reason, the thought of them scares me. I am not afraid of fish, or dolphins, or sharks, but an Orca or a Humpback or a Blue Whale...scary! I just have this image of one swallowing me whole. I think it is because of Monstro.
7) I love to read but I am very bad at it. Not that I can't read (I have a BA in Communications - hopefully I can read!) but I always start something and never finish it. I currently have 5 books that are half read. It isn't like I get bored or I don't like them, it is just some sort of bad habit or something. I am not proud of it.
...and pass this award on to other stylish bloggers!
Heartfire at Home
this free bird
Pearls and Politics
***All Things Marie***
Cap Ou Pas Cap
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Even so, I wish I were here:
Joe has been working nights the past few weeks and tonight around 8 he mentioned how tired he felt. I suggested he have a quick nap before he started work and I would lay down with him. Next thing I know, it is a little before 10:30 and I wake up exhausted and he has been working for over an hour. I'm in bed now, decided to do a quick post, and then I am going right back to sleep. Do you ever have those days? Every once in awhile I'll have a night where I go to bed soo early, but have no problem sleeping until my alarm goes off. It is nice.
PS - The lovely Bubbles has passed on a blog award to me! Thanks so much, Bubbles! I'll be posting about it and passing it on tomorrow.
Friday, January 14, 2011
What are you doing this weekend?
This weekend, I have no plans at all, and it feels so nice. Joe is also away in Toronto on business so it is just me, Oswald and Mog (the fish).
Tonight, I had Vietnamese food (even though I also had it the night before last - it's just so yummy!), and now I am just relaxing on the couch. Oswald isn't around because he is a bit frustrated with me. I took him to the vet yesterday and he has kitty acne on his chin. It can spread and become infected so I've had to wash it twice a day and then put a cream on it. Needless to say, he doesn't enjoy it too much.
Tomorrow I think I may go to a movie. I actually really like going to movies by myself - have you ever gone alone? I think I may go see The King's Speech. We'll see.
I'm off to make a nice cup of tea. I hope you all have a great weekend!
PS - It has been very, very cold here these past few days. Many people in Canada own these mittens because they were worn at the Olympics. It is cold here - so we show our pride this way. Warm :)
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
While in Pittsburgh for Christmas, Joe and I went to see the Coen brother's version of True Grit. As a John Wayne fan (living with my dad, you knew John Wayne, and you watched John Wayne), I went into it familiar with the original film from 1969 that won Mr. Wayne his Oscar. I know a lot of people were upset about a remake, but also being a fan of the Coen brothers, I was really excited to go and see it. Neither of us were disappointed, it was a great movie.
There are a few differences in the story, but nothing too major. What is really different is just how the film feels. What I mean is, the 1969 version seemed less, I don't know...gritty. See them, and you'll know what I mean. Both are fantastic and if you haven't seen either, I recommend.
Saturday, January 8, 2011
Oh the weekend, how I love you. This weekend, I am hoping to head to Brooks for my niece, Ainsley's birthday party. Her actual birthday was on January 4th but her party is on Sunday. However, the roads are in pretty rough shape due to the weather and I am not sure I will be able to go. Brooks it around a 2 hour drive from here and we are expecting more snow. I think I will have to see how it is tomorrow and maybe just go up for the day.
Oswald is doing good so far! He is adjusting a lot better than I thought. He has a lot of funny quirks and already has his favourite spot in the house. We are really happy we got him.
Now, back to Ms. A:
Ainsley, you mean the world to me! I have loved watching you grow and learn and I am so proud of you every single day. I am such a lucky auntie! You are amazing and I can't wait to watch you grow even more! I love our sleepovers where we stay up so late telling stories and then tell mommy you went to bed at 9 (more like 10:30 - you are so chatty and I love it). I love you soo much!
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Today, Joe and I adopted Oswald. He is 5 years old and had been at the Humane Society since September. He was found by someone who brought him in and they noticed he had a tattoo. Unfortunately, it was so worn they couldn't read it and never found his owner. He was very shy and nervous when we were visiting him there but he was really sweet. We have him home and he seems pretty scared and has been busy exploring. He loves to run up and down the stairs and then checks to see if Joe is still in his office. He lays down and stretches and curls his paws - it's funny!
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
This evening, Joe and I ventured to the Calgary Humane Society. We have decided to adopt a cat. I am a huge cat lover (Joe says he isn't but I think he is secretly becoming one). I have two awesome cats at my mom's house (Turbo and Poochie/CatDog) who I love to visit when I am home, so I am excited that Joe and I are getting our own. Our trip ended in me crying because it is so sad to see so many amazing cats looking for love. But it was really great to see all the people there looking to adopt and the wonderful staff and volunteers who gave each and every cat so much attention and cuddles.
We ran out of time today and haven't made a decision yet (how we will pick 1, I have no idea) and will be going back tomorrow for more visits.
Monday, January 3, 2011
Many years ago I resolved never to bother with New Year's resolutions, and I've stuck with it ever since. ~ Dave Beard
(photo taken by Joannis Duran)
The holidays went by so fast! The past few weeks feel like such a blur. I am excited to get back into routine and catch up on all the blogs that I have missed! I hope you all had a great Christmas and a very Happy New Year!
Looking back, 2010 was probably one of my toughest years in awhile. There were more downs than ups - but I am hoping that 2011 will be better.
A few things I am looking forward to...
My new neice or nephew being born in a little over a month.
Going to Las Vegas in May (for 2 weddings in one weekend!)
The new season of Mad Men
Some new changes in my personal life
My new kitty cat (that I will hopefully get this week!)
P.S - The photo was taken during New Years on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Canada. Hopefully I'll be there one year.